Integrating the radar page on an external webserver

Home Forums ADS-B Receiver Project Support Integrating the radar page on an external webserver

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  pe1rmg 1 day, 2 hours ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

pe1rmg
    Participant

Hello,

First of all thank you for creating this project. It made my life a lot easier to install everything on non-Raspberry hardware..!
    I have a receiver running on a local (in the house) Orange Pi computer, and everything looks great. Now I want to integrate the “radar page” on my website which runs on a server in a datacenter. I have full control over the server, but it is also used for other people’s websites… So I prefer not to install anything which might conflict with that..
    What I understand is that the radar page is generated by dump1090 . What I would like to achieve is that the map and the statistics column is integrated on my WordPress site, without the need of dump1090, or having my Orange Pi exposed to the internet to serve the page..
    Is this possible?

Thanks!

Paul

joe
    Keymaster

One way to do this would be to use a reverse proxy.
    * Possible massive strain on your at home Internet connection.
    * You have to open a port on your firewall to at least one IP address.
    * Less strain, no additional software to install on the web server.

Open up port 80 on your firewall and forward traffic on this port to port 80 on your receiver.
    Limit access to the port to only the IP address of your server.
    Setup a reverse proxy on your web server which connects to your receiver.
    Place the reverse proxy URL into say an iframe or embed tag.

Another way would be to run Virtual Radar Server.
    * Least amount of strain on your at home Internet connection.
    * No need to open ports on your network to the internet.
    * Web server will need to run VRS resulting in higher overhead to run.

Set up VRS on the web server.
    Configure your receiver to send data to said VRS installation.
    Place the VRS URL into say an iframe or embed tag.

pe1rmg
    Participant

My apologies for the late reply. I have been abroad for work with limited access to the internet…

Thanks for the reply. I will try to get the reverse proxy configured once I have access to the router again. I am not 100% sure, but I might have just a IPV6 connection there, which might be a challenge by itself! haha But I will figure it out..

Thanks again.

Paul

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.