Install failed on 'postfix'

Home Forums ADS-B Receiver Project Support Install failed on 'postfix'

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  joe 1 week, 5 days ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Terry
    Participant

I’ve been running the ADS-B Receiver satisfactorily for a couple of years, however I’ve just tried a fresh install on another Pi, using the v2.6.1 image and following the instructions and menus, (including updating Stretch to the latest), but the routine failed on trying to install ‘postfix’ and bombed-out with the following message:

Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    Package postfix is not available, but is referred to by another package.
    This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
    is only available from another source
    E: Package 'postfix' has no installation candidate
      INSTALLATION HALTED!
      UNABLE TO INSTALL A REQUIRED PACKAGE.
      SETUP HAS BEEN TERMINATED!
    The package "postfix" could not be installed in 5 attempts.
        IMAGE SETUP HAS BEEN TERMINISTED.

I re-ran the ADS_B Receiver routine using ./install.sh, but with the same failure on installing postfix, however I was subsequently able to install postfix separately, using ‘sudo apt-get install postfix -y’ and then the ADS-B Receiver install routine completed successfully.

Questions:
    1. Why does the ADS-B Reciver routine fail on installing postfix, where a manual install of postfix succeeds? 2. Is ‘postfix’ really required or could it be made optional? (AFAIK, I have no need of it)

Otherwise, many thanks for all the great work on this project 🙂

Terry

orion_jb2001
    Participant

Yes, in the last few days, I have seen exactly the same error, fails on initial install but loads on the second install/sh. Now your second question is very interesting. I don’t use post fix at all, my PI’s are purely for ADS-B, I chose each time not to use it or configure it at all, yet with this totally “don’t want it” the next part of the install appears to have something to do with postfix and as you mentioned, in the last few days, it is throwing up install errors, even when you don’t want to use it. Now I know absolutely zip about programming linux but have developed enough knowledge to get around fixing something now. It appears to me, even though you don’t want postfix, that is still tied up with the install function. Now I am not sure why, but surely, if you don’t want it, why does the install procedure have something to do with it. Has it been set up as a default option and it needs to uninstall if you don’t want it. Surely it would be better, if not wanted, the install program leaves it out of the loop, instead on uninstalling what ever has default been loaded???

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 2 days ago by  orion_jb2001.

loplo
    Participant

I think postfix is needed for notifications, portal account/password recovery.

joe
    Keymaster

If you are having issues installing the Postfix MTA execute install.sh with the –mta=exim flag set. This will skip the Postfix installation. However forgotten password retrieval in the portal may not work.

./install --mta=exim

In the mean time I will look into the issue while creating the v2.6.2 images tonight.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.